Re: [OT] Shaping and squid question

On 5/4/05, Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 13:25, Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
> > Does this mean that squid recieves the data at full speed and then
> > struggles to pass the data to the client who is shaped, thus becoming the
> > bottle neck?
>
> If you shape everything on eth0 down to dialup speeds, including pure LAN
> traffic, then the answer is yes, you have an unnecessary bottleneck there,
> because the traffic caused by squid on ppp0 is not shaped at all.
>
> I'm assuming that squid traffic looks like locally generated traffic to
> iptables/QoS. I don't really use squid, so I can't check.

Though so. squid traffic does look like locally generated traffic for
the shaping, but I shape by marking packets so squid's return data to
the client is also properly marked and shaped together with the other
protocols not handled by the transparent squid...

Here comes my first experiences with IMQ...

Thanks for the confirmation!

> HTH
> Andreas

Kenneth Kalmer