Re: Compiling sch_tbf.c in user space

I have already looked at netem and am using that for
modelling parameters like delay, jitter etc.
But the situation for bandwidth modelling is not there
in netem.The reason im doin it in user space is that i
need to route all packets coming into the system
through a single tbf.Using the kernel and tc system
the tbf is attached to a particular interface and
hence i do not have a common tbf for all interfaces.I
want a common tbf to shape all the traffic before
sending the packets out on the respective interfaces.I
have just come across the idea of using IMQ devices
for this task.I believ it is possible for the packets
coming in from different interfaces to be passed thro
a common tbf attached to an IMQ before sending them
out on the final interfaces.Im just not sure if the
packets routed to thro to the imq are again routed to
the correct interface finally.Do u have any idea on
this one.I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
thanx in advance

You can take a look at Jamal's actions, especialy redirect. I didn't use IMQ, sorry.

http://lwn.net/Articles/121407/

idea we came up with was to route packets from
different hosts to user space using Netfilter and
then
send them through a common tbf implemented in user
space in order to model a simple bandwidth shaping
scenario.
Routing packets to user space has been easy using
the
Netfitler hooks and libipq.
My problem now is that i need to implement a tbf
in
user space.I was thinking if its possible to
modify
the sch_tbf.c code to make it work in user space
so
that i can compile it as part of my user space
program
that handles the packets sent to user space thro
netfilter.Ive tried modifying this code a bit but
it
gives me a huge number of errors when i try to
compile
it as a simple C program in user space.
If this is not possible does any one have a simple
basic implementation of the token bucket filter
that i
can use in my program to test this scenario or any
other ideas on how to implement this tbf in user
space.
Thanx a million in advance.......and im sorry i
didnt
know exactly where to post the query so thats why
posted to both lists.
thanx and kind regards
vinay

HOWTO: http://lartc.org/

--- Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE catab at deuroconsult.ro http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

=====
Vinay Mathew
Technische Universität - Braunschweig,
Zimmer 41215, Rebenring 64, 38106 Braunschweig,
Deutschland.
Ph No:+4917622086705