Re: VOIP Challenges...

My calls are only choppy on the outbound side, ostensibly because of the
bandwidth disparity--I have 3Mb down, but only 256Kb up.  When I'm not
sending anything out, I'm good.  When I load up the outbound however, I not
only lose the ability to start a *new* ssh connection to my Linux box
(Xeon), but all interactivity is destroyed (DNS lookups, etc) and my Vonage
calls are worthless (though I can still hear the caller perfectly).

I'm not discounting the possibility that my MARKs are getting stripped or
otherwise re-mangled (so to say) in my excessively complex iptables script.
Up until this attempt at learning QoS, I've never had a need for MARKs, so
I'm going to sit down and work through my script on that end of things too.

Debug this first. It's not hard to sit and watch the byte counters scroll up. If any traffic goes to queues that you don't expect then you know something is wrong.

By the way, your other errors indicate that you don't have the correct kernel modules loaded....

As I said though, my softphone on the PC kept going stuttery on the uplink even though QOS was working. (And only the uplink, downlink was perfect). With the hardware phone it's perfect even when the link is under stress. I'm not sure exactly why, but I did notice that after a few mins the softphone usually got it's act together so I suspect it's a default delay thing which needs to get settled down to the level of jitter on the line....

Ed W