RE: VOIP Challenges...

Some others have pointed out a few errors, but can I just check whether it's
only uplink that gets choppy?

Obviously first of all monitor your qdiscs to make sure traffic is being
classified as expected, but after that do some testing on your VoIP app.

I tested www.sipgate.co.uk on my PC based softphone and frequently got
choppy sound for the first 30 secs of the call and then it settled down.
Curiously changing to one of these hardware devices, a Budgettone in my
case, and now the quality is perfect in both directions.  No changes in qos
settings between the two...

Now, I haven't debugged this further, but I think the actual voip settings
in the device may help/hinder when there is congestion.

Post some more info on your setup

Well, I've got a Vonage box (not the new Linksys-integrated ones; a
Motorola) that is designed to be on the first device in the chain (Cable
bridge, then Vonage, then switches/etc) and control its bandwidth needs that
way.  Of course, that messes up my whole world, because then I'm forced into
double-natting hell because the Vonage box can't do DHCP leases clamped to
MAC addresses (as I have currently set up).   Anywho... I have a Cable
bridge (Comcast) coming into a Pentium II Xeon with dual NICs, out to a
switch (no vlans or anything), and off of that is my Vonage box (among other
things).  No DMZ.

My calls are only choppy on the outbound side, ostensibly because of the
bandwidth disparity--I have 3Mb down, but only 256Kb up.  When I'm not
sending anything out, I'm good.  When I load up the outbound however, I not
only lose the ability to start a *new* ssh connection to my Linux box
(Xeon), but all interactivity is destroyed (DNS lookups, etc) and my Vonage
calls are worthless (though I can still hear the caller perfectly).

I'm not discounting the possibility that my MARKs are getting stripped or
otherwise re-mangled (so to say) in my excessively complex iptables script.
Up until this attempt at learning QoS, I've never had a need for MARKs, so
I'm going to sit down and work through my script on that end of things too.

I am currently still getting a couple of errors, however, when I run the
script (as posted), and I can't figure out where they're coming from:

RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
We have an error talking to the kernel
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
We have an error talking to the kernel
Unknown qdisc "protocol", hence option "ip" is unparsable
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
We have an error talking to the kernel
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
We have an error talking to the kernel

But when I run a status check, something like tc -s qdisc, I get:

qdisc htb 1: dev eth0 r2q 1 default 20 direct_packets_stat 0
 Sent 7403 bytes 88 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc sfq 10: dev eth0 parent 1:10 limit 128p quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 3127 bytes 11 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc sfq 20: dev eth0 parent 1:20 limit 128p quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 928 bytes 15 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc sfq 30: dev eth0 parent 1:30 limit 128p quantum 1514b perturb 10sec
 Sent 3348 bytes 62 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc ingress ffff: dev eth0 ----------------
 Sent 9741 bytes 108 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc prio 1: dev eth1 bands 3 priomap  2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2
 Sent 862690224 bytes 3617955 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc pfifo 10: dev eth1 parent 1:1 limit 10p
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc sfq 20: dev eth1 parent 1:2 limit 128p quantum 1514b
 Sent 91437677 bytes 1647652 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc sfq 30: dev eth1 parent 1:3 limit 128p quantum 1514b
 Sent 771252547 bytes 1970303 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0