Re: DSCP, ToS and Egress

I thought I could use IMQ, but it appears the packets entering the IMQ device
happen last, just like normal device qdiscs. Meaning, you can't send packets to
IMQ, then return to iptables for more mangling :/
Also, can't use MARK because I'm already using it for traffic prioritization
across 32 levels, and CLASSIFY is no good for this since it only works on a
leaf class.

I know I can sort traffic with filters, but I don't think it's possible to do
any packet matching and mangling with them? I may have to just modify the
source code :/

Dan-

Quoting George Alexandru Dragoi <waruiinu@xxxxxxxxx>:

You can try with IMQ, which probably is not wanted for a production
server. You can also mark the pachets which have some DSCP bits, then
use u32 with the mark match (Probably Catalin's implementation), i
think it is even in some latest 2.6 kernels, also don't forget to use
a new iproute2 :)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:12:46 +0200 (EET), Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE <util@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Dan Cox wrote:

> I'm successfully using HTB + GRED to shape traffic based on the DSCP field. I
> would like to strip the DSCP and possibly replace it with normal ToS bits on
> egress traffic leaving my network. Leaving DSCP set is pointless, and could
> potentially cause problems with some ISPs that use DSCP internally I suppose.
> Setting ToS bits would seem ideal as most networks still honor it to varying
> degrees.
>
> The problem is I can see no way of doing this. Since DSCP is needed in the
> qdiscs for shaping, it can't be mangled with iptables. According to the packet
> flow diagram, there doesn't appear to be any other opportunity to mangle the
> packets in this manor. Will I need to insert another router in the chain just
> to do this? :(

You can clone the GRED qdisc code and modify it to overwrite the DSCP
bits.

> --
> Dan-

---