Re: DSCP, ToS and Egress

You can try with IMQ, which probably is not wanted for a production
server. You can also mark the pachets which have some DSCP bits, then
use u32 with the mark match (Probably Catalin's implementation), i
think it is even in some latest 2.6 kernels, also don't forget to use
a new iproute2 :)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:12:46 +0200 (EET), Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
<util@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Dan Cox wrote:
>
> > I'm successfully using HTB + GRED to shape traffic based on the DSCP field. I
> > would like to strip the DSCP and possibly replace it with normal ToS bits on
> > egress traffic leaving my network. Leaving DSCP set is pointless, and could
> > potentially cause problems with some ISPs that use DSCP internally I suppose.
> > Setting ToS bits would seem ideal as most networks still honor it to varying
> > degrees.
> >
> > The problem is I can see no way of doing this. Since DSCP is needed in the
> > qdiscs for shaping, it can't be mangled with iptables. According to the packet
> > flow diagram, there doesn't appear to be any other opportunity to mangle the
> > packets in this manor. Will I need to insert another router in the chain just
> > to do this? :(
>
> You can clone the GRED qdisc code and modify it to overwrite the DSCP
> bits.
>

> > --
> > Dan-
> >

> ---