Re: DSCP, ToS and Egress

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Dan Cox wrote:

I'm successfully using HTB + GRED to shape traffic based on the DSCP field. I
would like to strip the DSCP and possibly replace it with normal ToS bits on
egress traffic leaving my network. Leaving DSCP set is pointless, and could
potentially cause problems with some ISPs that use DSCP internally I suppose.
Setting ToS bits would seem ideal as most networks still honor it to varying
degrees.

The problem is I can see no way of doing this. Since DSCP is needed in the
qdiscs for shaping, it can't be mangled with iptables. According to the packet
flow diagram, there doesn't appear to be any other opportunity to mangle the
packets in this manor. Will I need to insert another router in the chain just
to do this? :(

You can clone the GRED qdisc code and modify it to overwrite the DSCP bits.