Re: How to bond pppoe links

D> I have three ADSL lines that I'd like to use as one big pipe to the
D> internet. The ADSL service works by establishing a pppoe connection (the
D> ADSL "modem" is a bridge), and each pppoe interface gets its own IP
D> address.
D> This means I'd have to have 4 ethernet interfaces (3 for each
D> of the ADSL modems and 1 for the LAN) in my gateway. I'd setup the
D> gateway to NAT the LAN computers.
It's only possible to "bond" the interfaces correctly (meaning that
eg. one ftp download could reach almost the sum speed of all ADSL
interfaces) if you have an other computer on the other end that
"splits" the packages for you.
I've managed to do it but keep in mind that it's only worth it if you
have a colocation facility near by where you do not pay after the
traffic.

It looks like this:

lan - gw ====== coloc - internet

between the GW (your gateway) and the coloc (the computer you have
total control over at a colocation facility) there are any arbitrary
number of transports (eg. ADSL lines).

the trick is to create one VPN connection over one ADSL line (I am
using vtund, ether tunnel over TCP because UDP didnt work for some
reason) and bond the tunXX intefaces together on both sides using
ifenslave. after this the default route should be set to bond0 and
if ip forwarding is enabled on the coloc machine it all miraculously
works.

vtund should be running as a server on the colocation machine and each
client instance on the lan gw should connect using a different ADSL
interface.
if can be achieved by running pppd with "nodefaultroute" and with the
combination of iptables MARK / ip rule / ip route different instances
(connecting to different ports on the coloc machine) of vtund client
connections will be routed on the correct interface using
packet classification and static routes.

we've been running an internet cafe on 2x1,5mbit ADSL here in
Hungary reliably on this link adding only 2-3ms delay (because of the
additional routing / extra computers) and having at least 90%
bandwidth of the 3mbit. the colocation computer is also set up at the
isp where we're getting the adsl from, so it's relatively "near" in
terms of latency.  it worked rather shitty (if at all) when one of the
lines was 512 and the other one was 1500.

i've also heard of isp's in England who support ethernet bonding so
you may just order a bunch of adsl lines and bond them together on
your end. there might be some in your area as well :) (definitely not
here in Hungary though)

--
diab