Number of connections decreasing performance !

Hello again,

I am stuck with this problem:

I have:

One Linux NAT Box.
One internet connection.
100 clients in the LAN.

Test 1:
- Connect only one client to the server and download from it a file.
-> The total speed recorded on the server is maximum (as expected - let's
say 128KB)

Test 2:
- Connect all 100 clients (somewhere in the evening) and let them browse -
download, etc
- Try to download the same file from the same client to make sure that the
bandwidth is used at it's maximum capacity
-> The total speed recorded on the server is half then before (around 64KB)

There is no load on the server (uptime shows 0.00 0.00 0.00)
I changed distributions and hardware to make sure...
I changed the computer to a P4 2GHz - 512 RAM
The same problem appears during high traffic hours.

Can u tell me if there is a limit in how many connection a Linux router
might serve?
Can u spot another problem that might decrease the speed in such a way?

Please help... I am lost! I cannot see where the problem is...

Thanks in advance,
Mihai VLAD