Re: What is wrong here (continued...)?

> > > If you have classes with different prio's, you have to know what's going
> > > on. The class with the lowest prio has the highest priority.  This means
> > > that that class will get the lowes delay ONLY if this class is not
> > > sending more then the configured rate.  This also means that this class
> > > will get the remaining bandwidth of the parent AFTER the other child
> > > classes are served.
> >
> > Ok, so priorities are ignored as soon as used bandwidth of a class goes
> > above the "rate" setting?
> If a class goes aboive the rate setting, the class will get a bad (big) delay.
> If it stays under the rate, it will get a low delay.
>
> So prio does 2 things, and in most cases you don't need prio to do what you
> want to do.  Prio is perfect to speed up low rate traffic like ack, telnet,
> ssh (no scp), ...

I see...

Ok, ive just tried:

class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 256kbit
class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 256kbit ceil 256kbit prio 1
class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:25 htb rate 32kbit ceil 128kbit prio 8

Even with this, class 25 still seems to get preference of traffic... it just
sticks at 128kbit outbound no matter what class 20 is doing.

With what youve said above, i cant see how this is the case?

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all,
 Mark.