Re: What is wrong here (continued...)?

On Friday 24 December 2004 08:42, Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:

> > > Nope, the HTB man page says:
> > >
> > >       prio priority
> > >               In the round-robin process, classes with the lowest
> > >               priority  field are tried for packets first. Manda-
> > >               tory.
> > >
> > > I did actually try reversed priorities after i made the graph, etc
> > > though. It just made things worse... so they are in the correct order.
> >
> > If you have classes with different prio's, you have to know what's going
> > on. The class with the lowest prio has the highest priority.  This means
> > that that class will get the lowes delay ONLY if this class is not
> > sending more then the configured rate.  This also means that this class
> > will get the remaining bandwidth of the parent AFTER the other child
> > classes are served.
>
> Ok, so priorities are ignored as soon as used bandwidth of a class goes
> above the "rate" setting?
If a class goes aboive the rate setting, the class will get a bad (big) delay.
If it stays under the rate, it will get a low delay.

So prio does 2 things, and in most cases you don't need prio to do what you
want to do.  Prio is perfect to speed up low rate traffic like ack, telnet,
ssh (no scp), ...

Stef