Re: Weighted packet shaping?

Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:
Hi all,

Im new to all this, and am still trying to get my head qround some of the
concepts of how this all works.
Ive read the howto's, man pages etc.

Ive setup packet shaping on my router/server box using HTB and SFQ, but its not
working the way i would like.

Im after shaping that has "weights" for classes so that a lower priority class
will slow down when a higher class wants to flow more data.
As far as i can see, HTB wont do this...

As Ed says - I think you probably can do it with rate/ceil/prio - detail depends on you set up and exactly what you want to happen/

Ive looked at WRR which i have compiled into my 2.6.8.1 kernel

There is a TC options related bug in 2.6.8.1 you'll probably need to update/patch. This fixed it for me.

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/9-rc2/net/sched/sch_api.c

Andy.

and iproute2, but
it seems this really only works with multiple sources (client PCs), rather than
the iptables MARK system i want to use so i can organise local and client PC
traffic.

Does anyone know how i can do what im after?

Thanks,
 Mark Williams.