Re: SEPARATING VOIP AND SURFING

 --- Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:
> Ricardo Soria wrote:
>
> > Very thanks for your suggestion, but...  Consider
> that
> > the traffic that comes from the cisco 1600 is not
> > originated into itself;  this router is just
> passing
> > traffic that comes from Internet (infinite source
> MAC
> > addresses possible)
>
> I don't think so - ethernet is link layer
>

> , so, I really couldn't shape
> > traffic by its source MAC address.
>
> So if you use iptraf lan monitor you can not see the
> MAC of the ciscos
> sending and receiving?

It seems you are right:  I was monitoring using
iptraf, and I really could see cisco's MAC addresses
as source MACs of all traffic.  It is strange for me.
Could we say all packages take last node's MAC address
as source MAC address ??

>   The same for the
> > cisco 827, except that possible destination MAC
> > addresses are not so much.  Traffic that my linux
> box
> > sends to cisco 827 is not finally for itself, but
> for
> > any computer in the remote subnet.
>
> Even if the MAC bit doesn't work, I think if you can
> manage to route the
> traffic properly, then you should be able to
> mark/filter it for shaping.

Ok, I agree, but finally, if I mark traffic by source
MAC address, or by IP, or I don't do it, that would
only affect the way I would do filtering (tc
filter...), but I cannot really see how this would
help separating incoming and outgoing traffic by the
same interface.  By the way, I saw an example,
possibly in lartc archive, where another guy had a
similar problem, and he made 2 root classes, with the
same bandwidth for both of them, one for outgoing and
another for incoming.  Do you think this is an
acceptable way to try to separete it, and if so, do
you think I should create 2 root qdiscs (is this
possible??), or just 1 root qdisc and 2 root (child or
qdisc) classes ??

Very thanks...

Regards.