Re: SEPARATING VOIP AND SURFING

Ricardo Soria wrote:
--- Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

Andy Furniss wrote:

So, my question would be, how to 'divide' or
'recognize' incoming and outgoing traffic, and to
treat it as different channels??  I was thinking

about

using a IMQ device for incoming traffic, but this
apperas to be a 'little bit' more complicated

that

what I expected.  So, may it be a way to do this
without installing IMQ ??

Yes you will need IMQ.

Second thoughts - you may be able to do without IMQ
as long as it's just forwarded traffic.

Andy.

Andy:

What I am exactly doing is this:  I receive all
traffic from the cisco 1600, then,
filter/shape/monitor it, then, if this traffic is
destined to the remote subnet, it is send to the cisco
827, but, if the traffic is for the local subnet
(including both ciscos, and the linux box),

The only thing you would need IMQ for is if you need to shape traffic from the 1600 to a local process on the linux box - so you may - it depends on what else you are running on the shaping box that causes bulk traffic to it.

it is
directly delivered to its destination. All of this is
done via eth0, as much outgoing as incoming traffic. So, specially cosidering about the local subnet, do
you think I should definitively use IMQ or not??

If eth0 has as much incoming as outgoing then there is no traffic to local process?

Do you want to shape eth0 aswell as the internet link or is it OK for spare bandwidth?

Andy.

However, I have also posted in linuximq list, because I cannot find IMQ patch for my linux box (Redhat 7.3, 2.4.18-3 Kernel)

Very thanks in advance.

Ricardo.