Re: SEPARATING VOIP AND SURFING

 --- Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:
> Ricardo Soria wrote:
> >  --- Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > escribió:

> >>about

> this
> >>
> >>that

> >>Second thoughts - you may be able to do without
> IMQ
> >>as long as it's just
> >>forwarded traffic.
> >>
> >>Andy.
> >>

> > Andy:
> >
> > What I am exactly doing is this:  I receive all
> > traffic from the cisco 1600, then,
> > filter/shape/monitor it, then, if this traffic is
> > destined to the remote subnet, it is send to the
> cisco
> > 827, but, if the traffic is for the local subnet
> > (including both ciscos, and the linux box),
>
> The only thing you would need IMQ for is if you need
> to shape traffic
> from the 1600 to a local process on the linux box -
> so you may - it
> depends on what else you are running on the shaping
> box that causes bulk
> traffic to it.
>

>   it is
> > directly delivered to its destination.  All of
> this is
> > done via eth0, as much outgoing as incoming
> traffic.
> > So, specially cosidering about the local subnet,
> do
> > you think I should definitively use IMQ or not??
>
> If eth0 has as much incoming as outgoing then there
> is no traffic to
> local process?

There may be traffic for a local (linux box) process,
but the most of the traffic will be redirected or
passed.

> Do you want to shape eth0 aswell as the internet
> link or is it OK for
> spare bandwidth?

I cannot translate/understand perfectly this question,
but I do need to shape the internet link.

So, returning to the question that originated this
discussion, how can I diferentiate/separate incoming
and outgoing traffic for the same interface (eth0),
without confusing each other, and without using IMQ
devices if possible ??