Re: Limiting Bandwidth of an ppp interfaces

Florian Taeger wrote:
Hi.

If the traffic from all the ppps leave by one interface then you could
mark packets by incoming interface and set up egress shaping with say
HTB on that interface.

There is only one eth0 interface to the internet and many ppp for the users.

So ... I have to shape every traffic from the ppp interfaces to eth0
(internet) and the same way around, don't I ??

I think you should think about what Eric says - I don't have experience with many ppps and I guess you will need to use scripts per ppp.

For Egress you can add a TBF per ppp.

For ingress you could add a policer to each or you could use IMQ, but you would need one device per ppp. To this you could then add a TBF to ratelimit. This will not involve iptables.

Iptables plus HTB on eth is still a non IMQ option for doing ingress - depends on detail though :-)

I am assuming that you don't want to do any sort of QOS for the customers.

How would it be done with htb ??

The problem ist - 50% of all the traffic on eth0 is to establish the ppp
session through a l2tp tunnel and the other 50% are for the real traffic to
the internet. So i only want to shape down the traffic from or to the ppp
interfaces. But I can't shape the whole traffic on eth0. So ... will there
be any problems regarding this ?

I think it would be OK. HTB has a default class for traffic it can't classify AFAIK the default for this is no limits. Or you could just make a class with a big limit.

Of course i read the docs, but I just don't know how exactly to generate the shape-filter for this. I know i have to establish a root entry and make another entry for every ppp device. but how do i connect the interfaces an the traffic ?!? How would I generate this "hard limit" for the traffic ?

Exactly how you do things depends on whether you can get your scripts to set a mark for a new ppp that relates it to a specific customer. If you can do this and inserting the rules into running iptables works OK then you could have an HTB class already setup on eth0 for each customers rates.

Andy.

Many thanks for the help.

Regards

F.Taeger