Re: Limiting Bandwidth of an ppp interfaces

Florian Taeger wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'm working on a problem since some days.

I have a linux router with about 100 ppp interfaces. Each interface should
bei limited to an individual bandwidth of 1024kbit, 2048kbit or 3096kbit. Up
AND downstream. (let's say for example 1024kbit upstream and 1024kbit
downstream)

The reason for this problem: I have to limit users to their booked
bandwidth, because there are hard rules, who is allowed to use which kind of
bandwidth. but some users used their 1024kbit login data with an 3096kbit
dsl line and of course they got the whole 3mbit bandwidth for
downloads/uploads.

So i MUST limit the users to a hard limit of bandwidth. no fair dealing or
something else. just a hardlimit for bandwidth. User X (pppX) get's 1024kbit
of bandwidth. no more nor less.

Another problem is, that behind an ppp interface there are some /29 net of
ip-adresses. So i am not able to filter by ip address. i have to filter by
interface.

but i just don't know how to deal with the problem Traffic shaping works
only for egress traffic, doesn't it?

Did anybody worked on the same problem before or can provide a solution for
this?

If the traffic from all the ppps leave by one interface then you could mark packets by incoming interface and set up egress shaping with say HTB on that interface. If the traffic leaves on > 1 interfaces then you need to use IMQ.

Andy.