Re: imq config

Hello Andre...
this is the scenario

My linux router is connected to 1 Mbps leased line. Out of which i only
want to use 100 kbps for my broadband clients.

Linux router(100 kbps---- class 1:101(40kbps)   class 1:102(40kbps)
						class 1:103(50kbps)
						class 1:104(30kbps)
						class 1:105(20kbps)
						"lot of similar class"

But the total bandwidth linux should serve should be 100 kbps nothing
more than that. I means i want global limit on server.Hope u understand
the scenario. Is is possible???

thanks,

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 22:24, Andre Correa wrote:
> Hi Joel, you didn't told us details about your scenario or special needs
>    but to me you don't look like a candidate for IMQ. It is ment to be
> used when you need to set global defaults or when you need to use egress
> filter features on ingress traffic.
>
> Based in your message I supose that a qdisc of 100Kbps and child qdiscs
> of 50 or 60Kbps would do what you need. This way it will restrict
> traffic to 100Kbps and child classes will borrow from each other when
> possible, but never higher then their parent.
>
> Hope it helps...
>
> Andre
>

> Joel n.solanki wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I know this is not imq mailing list. But many of the users over here
> > have done exactly what i want.
> >
> > Requirement:- I want to tight bound eth1 for 100 kbps
> > but after i want to create many classes of 64 kbps or 50 kbps and
> > others. But the total sum of classes is more than 100 kbps so my eth1 is
> > not restrciting total bandwidth at 100kbps.
> >
> > According to search on google imq is the solution.
> >
> > So any body over here have done this type of configuration.
> > if any plz give me some little examples.
> >
> > I have already patched and compiled the imq and kernel.
> > Now need to configure imq.
> >
> > Any help ???
> >
> > Regards,

Joel N.Solanki
Network Administrator
Phone No: 0265-550001/2/3/4/5 Ext: 211/212
Digtial 2 Virtual Internet Service Provider.
http://www.packetraptor.com/
http://www.d2visp.com/
Gujarat (India)