Re: Wondershaper in internal network

Johan Lindqvist wrote:
>  This is my setup:
> DSL modem > 4 port internet router > 1. Winxp computer
>                                    > 2. Linux computer
>                                    > 3. Linux computer (thin client to computer no 2)
>
> Every computer has one NIC. I know that the internal traffic is
> interfered because the remote x environment get extremely slow after
> running wondershaper. I have been thinking of putting a second nic into
> computer no 2, since it is obvious that would eliminate the problem, but
> if it is possible to solve this in another way, that would be
> preferable, since it would save some money on a long cable and a new nic
> ;) ..
> Would it not be an easy thing just putting into wondershaper another
> qdisc that shapes and police say 90 mbit, and a filter that catches all
> 192.168. traffic that leads to that queue? I just don't know how to do
> this myself...

Might be "an easy thing", but I don't know how!

Perhaps the following will help.

http://andthatsjazz.org/lartc/ultimate.html shows a 4-queue Wonder
script.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/index.html

http://digriz.org.uk/
Jim diGriz's URL is not working right now; traceroute dies at
213.162.127.69.  But it is a "don't miss", so keep trying!

What I'm not finding but expect might be possible is a second "root":
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 30
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle #: htb default ## << will this work?
Dunno, but I do know that you'll get bad results if the DSL and the
internal network are in the same class.

Wonder forces EVERYTHING not otherwise filtered into the default / bulk
class.  You might want NOT to do that so that unmatched stuff is totally
ignored by HTB.  Rather than "match ip dst 0.0.0.0/0 flowid 1:30" you
add a bunch of filters that match internet but not internal NW...???

gypsy