Re: Wondershaper in internal network

gypsy wrote:

Johan Lindqvist wrote:

I've gotten wondershaper to work in my linux box, which is part of a 3
computer network that shares the same dsl connection. The linuxbox
handles most bulk down and uploading, and the other 2 are mainly for
surfing and such.
What I need from wiondershaper is that it should perform it's tasks
with all of the traffic to the dsl modem, but do nothing with the
internal traffic (traffic to 192.168.). This is important since I do a
lot of remote x'ing to the linuxbox, and when that traffic to is shaped,
it's to slow to work.
/johan

You must tell us a lot more about your setup than above if you expect help.

Does the linux box have more than one NIC?
Are you DNATting?  If not, HOW is the DSL shared?
What makes you say that the wonder script is interfering with internal
traffic?

In a "normal" setup, the linux box will have 2 NICs, one connected to a
switch/hub serving the internal network and the other directly connected
to the DSL.  Wonder then is configured to shape on the internet
(external) interface (only).  That means it does not touch anything on
the internal NW.

You might be able to set up a modified Wonder such that the default /
bulk does 100Mbit (assuming your internal NW is 100) by setting RATE =
CEIL = 100Mb and then shape everything where the IP matches your DSL IP
so that internet stuff never gets into the bulk queue.  Sort of
"reverse" logic, but that is the way I dealt with an FTP server.  In the
absence of a firewall mark in FTP packets, there is no good way to
identify them, so instead handle the stuff you CAN identify and let the
rest go into bulk.

gypsy

Sorry I wasn't clear.
This is my setup:
DSL modem > 4 port internet router > 1. Winxp computer
> 2. Linux computer
> 3. Linux computer (thin client to computer no 2)

Every computer has one NIC. I know that the internal traffic is interfered because the remote x environment get extremely slow after running wondershaper. I have been thinking of putting a second nic into computer no 2, since it is obvious that would eliminate the problem, but if it is possible to solve this in another way, that would be preferable, since it would save some money on a long cable and a new nic ;) ..
Would it not be an easy thing just putting into wondershaper another qdisc that shapes and police say 90 mbit, and a filter that catches all 192.168. traffic that leads to that queue? I just don't know how to do this myself...
/Johan