should I shape tun[N] or eth0 ?

Greetings,

me again. I'm starting to feel miff now.

If I have a few vpn tunnels with different tun interfaces. And all this tunnel
traffic is coming in on my eth0 interface, it also leave via eth0 again. I
would like to share the available bandwidth evenly with tunnel clients. Would
applying the bandwidth rule on eth0 with htb & sfq work for sharing the
bandwidth or will bandwidth rules only affect tunnel traffic if I apply it to
the actual tun[n] intefaces ?