Re: the "cisco vs. Linux" thread

Ed Wildgoose wrote:

Alfie, have you used the Routerboard 230 or 240 products?  Anyone else?

Could anyone else recommend other manufacturers of this type of
hardware: an embedded system board with * a couple of NICs
* PCMCIA
* runs linux

This one, and its cheaper:

http://www.soekris.com/

Actually, I am really interested in this kind of hardware. But it's actually not really as cheap as it looks. (Bear in mind I am based in the UK so I am looking post-shipping price)

Most of these tiny embeded devices need $20-30 or powersupply, and same again for a case, and a bit of RAM... It looks like around £300

No, it have RAM on board (and some of them, flash memory), the power supply is unregulated AC (read the specs), so you can buy it on your country.

sterling to me all in. However, you can often pickup a bottom of the range Compaq/HP server for that price... (OK, not as small and neat!)

There are some really nice and neat little boxes, which would be good for a mid-priced box where you need the grunt.
...But for low end hardware it seems hard to beat the Linksys WRT54GS which is around £50 GPB from ebuyer.... This gets you 32Mb and a 200Mhz processor! (and 2 net cards, a small switch and a wireless radio!)

I have used linksys (what a piece of crab), and I still preffer to buy a soekris card and a mini-PCI 802.11g card from netgate. I can install Linux on it, an get a very powerfull router/firewall/vpn. And due that I need it for outdoor mounting, I would buy a nema box.

Can you Install Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD on it?

The "S" model is only starting to arrive in the UK so mine's on backorder, but I think it's easily available in the US?

Ed W