Re: the "cisco vs. Linux" thread

Alfie, have you used the Routerboard 230 or 240 products?  Anyone else?

Could anyone else recommend other manufacturers of this type of
hardware: an embedded system board with * a couple of NICs
* PCMCIA
* runs linux

This one, and its cheaper:

http://www.soekris.com/

Actually, I am really interested in this kind of hardware. But it's actually not really as cheap as it looks. (Bear in mind I am based in the UK so I am looking post-shipping price)

Most of these tiny embeded devices need $20-30 or powersupply, and same again for a case, and a bit of RAM... It looks like around £300 sterling to me all in. However, you can often pickup a bottom of the range Compaq/HP server for that price... (OK, not as small and neat!)

There are some really nice and neat little boxes, which would be good for a mid-priced box where you need the grunt.

...But for low end hardware it seems hard to beat the Linksys WRT54GS which is around £50 GPB from ebuyer.... This gets you 32Mb and a 200Mhz processor! (and 2 net cards, a small switch and a wireless radio!)

The "S" model is only starting to arrive in the UK so mine's on backorder, but I think it's easily available in the US?

Ed W