Re: HTB & BDW Guarantee

On Saturday 10 July 2004 05:54, toto toto wrote:
> Hello,
> I have problems setting up HTB.
> This is my setup :
> NET
> 1024/256 ADSL
> eth1
> Linux Firewall
> eth0
> LAN 10.a.a.a
> I want to GUARANTEE for an IP (10.x.y.z) a 800kbit
> bandwidth for HTTP download.
> But When 10.x.y.z does no HTTP download, other trafic
> must get the whole bandwidth, of course.
> The script I use (see below) is quite the same as
> presented at (the greeeeat page) :
> http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm,
> the only difference is that I use only 2 classes (HTTP
> trafic vs other)
> BUT :-((
> When I
> root@test# wget ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ls-lR
> (...)
> 21% [==========>        ] 4,984,704    106.39K/s
> root@test#
> It goes at ~100 Ko, as expected when no other trafic
> is generated.
> But if I
> root@test# wget ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ls-lR

I completely disagree with the way you performed the test.
Debian.Org is not on your local network isnt it ?? How far from your host
until it reach Debian.Org as destination host ? Are you sure your ISP or
Debian.Org ISP or perhaps Debian.Org itself doesnt perform traffic per
session management, or any QoS ?
My suggestion is to test the performance of your HTB using your own local
network. Because you know completely your network condition and you can
analyze it perfectly.

Regards,
Rio Martin.