Re: Modems: Cable or DSL digital blunders that lartc may help with.

Hi Mike,

I have a Cable 'modem' that has a problem that many of these devices is
bound to have. I was wondering what other lartc user thought about this
and if DSL has simular problems.

Yep, we all have this problem. Read through LARTC, ADSL_QOS howto and even some recent posts to this list (which cover this in great detail)

Cable, being Asymetrical, is able to upload at a given rate and hopefully
has a buffer, in the modem, of some kind.  When I nc(netcat) to a UDP
echo, or discard, server I get about 10Mbps out on my ethernet, but only
256Kbps acctualy receved(reported by an open echo server).  Other traffic
on the link suffers grately from this, so I don't do it oftan :)  I use
htb to curve this and that seams to work nice.

NO REALY MY CABLE MODEM DOSEN'T MAKE ANY ATTEMPT TO, CALL FOR HELP,
CONTROL THE FLOW(aka flow-control, supported by ethernet and rs-232).

There is no such flowcontrol in ethernet or rs232. TCP only indicates congestion by dropping packets. There is something called ECN, but it is rarely implemented (and tests suggest that it doesn't help as much as theory might like).

Read the LARTC and come back for more. It's a really great document

Ed W