RE: Slashdot on WRT54G

Hi there,

I do have one of the WRT54Gs and did contribute some scripts to James,
the head developer of the sveasoft firmware. I do not have the most
recent firmware since I had a few issues "subscribing" to the
development process but I still am thinking about getting more involved.

The web admin interface on the version of the firmware that I'm using
offers very little in the way of customizing the tc rules. However, all
you need to do to make them as granular as you want is to enable SSH,
ssh in and just copy/paste your script in. The firmware overall works
great though with my v1 router the processor gets maxxed out very
quickly if you are transferring files over the PPTP vpn. I know that
better access to the bandwidth management from the web interface is on
the development list.

Last I heard/read they are incorporating both the l7 filters and the p2p
wall projects.

It's an awesome product for ~6W of power and $70. There are 3 versions
now, v1, v2, and the WRT54GS. I believe the v2 has more flash and/or
RAM, the S model has the turbo mode for "108Mbps" performance. V1 and v2
have slightly different vlan/bridging setups between the wired and
wireless.

Patrick