Re: HTB MPU

Ed Wildgoose wrote:

Reading your other post I see your small traffic is ~100b - this would use three cells, so as a temporary kludge you could set your mpu to 159 and see how it goes.

AFAIK the author of the HTB patch is looking into modifying it to do the sums properly for DSL. There isn't one answer though - Eds' formula is fine doing the cells bit, but before this you need to add a ppp overhead to the IP packet length and this varies with pppoa+vc mux/pppoe/bridged pppoe and probably other varieties of dsl implementations.

I think he said that he is on BT atm based adsl? Can we perhaps tweak that formula (which is already hardwired) and try to get him something useful. It sounds like it would be a good vindication for the technique and if it works then we can retro fit it to some modular params which work for more people. Can't be any worse than the current patch which already doesn't help most adsl users completely...
In other words, how would I calc the overhead for BT's ppp system? Happy to help write the patch if you can supply the info

See my post to Jason - I think it should be doable, I was just waiting to see if it got put into the patch - as the author knows the code and has done most of the work already.

Andy.