Re: HTB MPU

Jason Boxman wrote:
On Monday 17 May 2004 18:36, Andy Furniss wrote:
<snip>

Could be this then -

You can make HTB more accurate by setting HTB_HYSTERESIS to 0 in
net/sched/sch_htb.c.

I have been messing with producing graphs with SNMP, so I only just did this. I was hoping to get before and after graphs to verify any changes, but I finally just did it.

I was just thinking about making ping graphs with sed/xplot myself. Is it easy with SNMP?

Lucky for me, my ADSL line died tonight, so when it came back up I was able to see my ping on a completely idle link. Using HTB with HTB_HYSTERESIS set to 0 appears to have greatly reduced my ping time. It still skips up more often than when the link is completely idle, but it appears to be (without any graphs to verify) a marked improvement. (Now I see more 75ms and an occasional 145ms instead of the complete reverse.)

Good - there is another timing tweak I should have mentioned which you may or may not be able to use.

http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/40.html

I use this - but still notice some things (not TC related) use 100hz. When I finally finish my LFS setups I am going to try and tweak this aswell.

68/70/75 out of 20 ICMP packets when idle. 68.3/91.6/215.7 ms out of 323 ICMP packets at 85% utilization.

Assuming there is only upstream traffic for the test that still seems high - but then I don't know what your pinging - my first hop is usually OK.

What is the best min you can get pinging your first hop with an empty line - with and without traffic control in use. TC it's self doesn't seem to affect my best empty line rates.

At 85% you should see max around 70-80 assuming 25ms baseline pings.

From the comments in sch_htb.c I take it I just traded speed for accuracy in some of HTB's calculations, which on such a slow link is probably not an issue?

Yes.

Andy.