Re: HTB MPU

Jason Boxman wrote:
On Friday 14 May 2004 05:55, Andy Furniss wrote:
<snip>

If you can get a cell count from your modem you can work it out with
ping. I don't know what your pppoe is.

I can probably get my USB Stringray out of the closet and hook it up. I think the Windows diagnostic utility for it actually included some stuff about frames and cell sizes. The browser based diagnostics on my Westell don't include anything interesting.

Your upstream worst case depends on your bitrate and your MTU. If it's
128k you add about 90ms, 256k 45ms for 1500b packets. What's yours?

My upstream is supposedly 256Kbps. I am running the ADSL modem in pass-through mode, so it gives my Linux router the live IP. When I did PPPoE internally I had an MTU of 1492 and used the RP PPPoE daemon.

Could be this then -

You can make HTB more accurate by setting HTB_HYSTERESIS to 0 in
net/sched/sch_htb.c.

To save time - if you built HTB as a module, you can probably (well it
worked for me) get away with editing htb.c and do

make SUBDIRS=net/sched modules
and replacing /lib/modules/[kversion]/kernel/net/sched/htb.o with the
new htb.o from your source tree.

If you are doing it live stop shaping and check with lsmod that modprobe
-r gets rid (do it again if it's still there) of the old htb.o and
reload shaping scripts.

Andy.