Re: 2 Questions on filtering incoming stuff

Ed Wildgoose wrote:
Two easy questions after having read the LARTC HOWTO document (which by the way is a *fantastic* document. Congratulations to all who contributed!)

First is: Can I prioritise my "drops" on incoming traffic when the link is overloaded. ie instead of just tail dropping, can I "prefer" to drop certain classes of traffic?

Yes - you would queue before dropping.

If so, do I do this by setting up, say, a
HTB tree like on the incoming, but the only action at the leaf is to drop?

You attach a queue to the leaf, which may drop.

Second: Theoretically now.... There appears to be no way to tweak "window length" to throttle incoming data... But in theory, would a module which delayed the outgoing ACK's have the same effect?

Queueing has much the same effect.

Obviously
this module would need some sort of packet accounting ffrom the incoming interface in order to supply the outgoing filter with the info it needed (not even sure if this design makes it hard to implement such a thing?). Fast and selective acks and timeouts, obviously make this very hard to implement as well...

Throttling by rwin manipulation would be nice - but complicated.

However, the main point is that I don't really understand the process by which linux (and other OSs) discover the steady state speed of a link? Anyone got a good pointer to how "slow start" and "fast start" work, and how it adjusts speed through time?

It's tcp that finds the limits. There are many docs out there like

www.jessingale.dsl.pipex.com/tcp-noureddine02transmission.pdf

Andy.