Re: RV: LATENCY PROBLEMS

Am Friday 14 May 2004 17:18 schrieb GoMi:
> I am network administrator for my university dorm. We are about 300
> users, and we have 2 ADSL connections doing load balancing with 300kbits
> upstream and 2Mbit downstream.

That's not much bandwidth if there are a lot of p2p users.

> and with ipp2p I mark p2p traffic allocating it under the
> non-interactive queue.

That's good - but you didn't write anything about your setup.
Make sure that p2p traffic is in a class that gets restricted
aggressively. If you're using HTB, the P2P class should have
to borrow everything and have lower ceil and prio than other classes.

> I have only two possible explanations, or either the CONNMARK module
> introduces a very high latency when the number of entries on
> /pron/net/ip_conntrack rises above lets say 800, or maybe the Ethernets
> I have (cheap Ethernets) are getting saturated with that amount of
> traffic.
>
> My server is a AMD Duron 800MHz with 768Mb of RAM.

I doubt that it's CONNMARK fault. I only got a 233MHz machine doing the
routing and still the CPU has loads of idle time. That little network
traffic isn't so bad and 800 connections are few for 70 users.

Andreas