Re: newbie: TC[NG] with (256kbit/s down and 768kbit/s up) on a router

On Friday 23 April 2004 21:23, trapni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello.

> this is really not really very easy to understand, or, to get in.

I spent several weeks playing to tcng.  I found a few useful references.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-tcng-HTB-HOWTO/index.html
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2003q4/010826.html
http://linux-ip.net/gl/tcng/tcng.html

> Well, I've the following configuration on the router box:
>
> LAN
>   - interface: eth0
>   - network: 192.168.2.5/24
>   - bandwidth: 100Mbit/s
> INET interface
>   - interface: ppp0
>   - network: .dynamic.ip./0
>   - bandwidth: DOWN=1536kbit/s and UP=256kbit/s
>
> the LAN interface is to serve 6 other clients with internet and local
> services. My goal NOW was, or is, to garrantie each client with a fair
> amount of bandwith for both, up and down.

Egress is easy.  Ingress seems to be a topic that is discussed often on LARTC,
and I believe your options are to either use an ingress policer or the IMQ
target.  The former you can do directly with tcng, the latter I believe you
cannot.

> That is, each client inside the LAN should get garrantied
>   - PER_CLIENT_DOWN=256kbit/s
>   - and PER_CLIENT_UP=42kbit/s
> Each unused bandwith may be shared between them.
>
> The LAN clients have IP pool:
>     192.168.2.2-192.168.2.4, and
>     192.168.2.6-192.168.2.8
>
> But how exactly do I now express my wish in TCNG syntax?
>
> Some kind of pseudo code like below...

<snip>
> The "device" object is meant to represent the device's configuration
> specific data. "input" as child of "device" represents the input
> bandwidth configuration - same goes for "output". class is just like
> tc/tcng, I guess. "catch ip IP" just tells, what IP packets should be
> queued in this class. The queuing discipline to be used is rarely
> unimportant, maybe htb, cbq, or tbf, what ever(?) best fits right here.

You'd probably use HTB for egress.  If you decide to use IMQ you might use it
in both directions.

> Sorry, this is *my* brain-dead-pseudo-code to explain, what I want, with a
> syntax associated to the tcc(tcng) examples I have found on the net.
>
> Could someone *now* show me, how my goal should look in tcng syntax?

I don't think you can use IMQ from within tcng, so you may not be able to do
ingress and egress with a single tool.

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator