How to DSMARK locally generated traffic and then apply AFHTB?

Hi fellow traffic-shapers,

I am implementing a Diffserv CORE router using Linux kernel 2.4.18. I used this excellent website (http://www.opalsoft.net/qos/DS-38.htm) using AFHTB as a starting basis for my EGRESS diffserv implementation - and all works great so far!!!

But my project has an additional requirement. There are services running locally on the router which are sending/receiving IP traffic also. These services are leaving the DSCP set to 0x00. What I want to do is to mark these packets with a specific DSCP value and then treat them as if they came in from the INGRESS and apply the AFHTB QoS mechanism.... How I can I do this?

To restate the scenario:

- I am a CORE diffserv router.
- I am using the AFHTB script on my EGRESS
- Traffic from LAN has DSCP set, all works great using the AFHTB script!
- Traffic generated within the router has no DSCP set, but I want to set the DSCP values (based on a u32 filter) and THEN treat the packets just like the packets coming in from the LAN.
- The problem is that the AFHTB script assumes the DSCP values are already set, but for locally generated traffic they are not.
- As DSMARK is my root queue, I know I can "mark" the DSCP code just before handing the packet over to the egress interface using commands like ""tc class change dev eth1 classid 1:1 dsmark mask 0x3 value 0xb8"". But this marking is being done AFTER the AFHTB has done all its work, and I want to mark the DSCP values BEFORE applying the AFHTB QoS.

Any suggestions/ideas/resources are truly appreciated!

Scratching my head,
-Tony