Squid + shaping question

Hi folks,

So, I have a pretty simple setup - a linux router machine running as a
firewall/router for a small neighborhood LAN (approx 20 machines). I also
have squid running on the box in non-transparent mode, and also I have set
up NAT for TCP/UDP ports above 1024 for all clients and SSH/POP/SMTP/CVS
NAT'd for selected ones based on MAC filtering. No hosts whatsoever can
access ports 80 and 443 without going through squid. The uplink to the
internet is 512kbit/s downstream and 64kbit/s upstream cable modem connected
on eth1 (LAN on eth0, no DMZ).
When the LAN started to grow from a few well known friends of mine to more
people I didn't know so well 'social shaping' stopped working for us - bulk
downloaders started to saturate the link so badly that I even couldn't use
acceptably ssh from outside. So - the usual solution - www.lartc.org.
I did a lot of reading on the topic (This really got me interested in) and
finally ended up installing a self-modified version of wondershaper on the
external interface. This did solve the problem of me having usable ssh from
my office to the router machine, and the ingress qdisc partially solved the
problem of the downlink being fairly distributed between all incoming
connections - but as most of you know this is a half-baked bread. What I
think should be done is shaping the internal interface - BUT - the squid
in-between causes trouble.
So the question is - How to differentiate between traffic served from
squid's cache and traffic squid got directly from the internet ?
Shaping/policing all web traffic negates the benefits of having a caching
proxy pretty much.
After lots of googling and reading(at one point I was ready to completely
forget squid) a came up with the following alternatives, both found on the
FAQ section of www.docum.org - 'SQUID zero penalty for HIT traffic patch' by
a fellow bulgarian Marin Stavrev, and a patch giving you the ability to 'use
ACL lists to put packets in classes' by a guy named Patrick.
I'd like to ask you for your experiences with those, which one is better,
any other alternatives you know of and of course general
recipes/recommendations for solving my problem.

Well, That's it put shortly in an over-sized mail. Thanks in advance for
your advice.

Regards,
Teddy