Re: HTB speed

At 11:14 14/03/2004, Jeroen Vriesman wrote:
Hi,

just putting the answer to my own question here, for those who have the same problem, and read the mailing list archive.

The timing of the P4 based on "jiffies" is hopeless, it's different for every processor, and can be a wrong by a factor 3.

If the tsc (time stamp counter) is used, the htb works fine, the error in speed is now only about 1 %.

It's set by:

in pkt_sched.h:

#define PSCHED_CLOCK_SOURCE PSCHED_CPU

that's all, I wonder why it's not default to do this, or maybe it's an idea to make the packet scheduler detect the presence of tsc when the module is loaded.

Hi,

Which pkt_sched.h are you refering to ? /usr/src/linux/include/linux/pkt_sched.h or /usr/src/linux/include/net/pkt_sched.h ?

And after changing it what did you do ? Recompile the kernel ?

Or recompile tc ?

I too see the same problems with htb (very poor accuracy of speed, significantly too slow, also very jerky) while cbq is very accurate and smooth. (But lacks some features I need)

Regards,
Simon