Re: Blue and SFB

Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:

There is a blue implementation for Linux at
http://home.sch.bme.hu/~bartoki/projects/thesis/2001-May-26/

Nice!

I briefly scanned the implementation and it didn't look too bad. Some
oddities here and there (such as changing HZ from 100 to 1024??).

Yes, it seems to be in a good form. The HZ change doesn't make much sense for a work-conserving scheduler, the PSCHED_CLOCK_SOURCE change is there to get a higher clock resolution.

But, as the implementation is rather old, it would require a complete
overhaul for 2.6 I think. It is a shame it wasn't worked in to the
Linux kernel when it was still current, as I think the algorithm could
have a lot of uses.

I couldn't sleep this morning so I started to fix up the code for 2.6 ;) It's almost no work, the QoS-subsystem hasn't changed much since 2.4.3. I should be done today or tommorrow.

What is the process of getting new traffic schedulers in the kernel? I
guess most of the netfilter stuff goes through netfilter development
and patch-o-matic - but there isn't anything similar for QoS, is
there?

No, there isn't. The usual way it to submit new stuff to netdev for discussion, if it is useful and of good quality it usually is accepted.

Regards
Patrick