From: "Roy" <roy@xxxxxx>
To: <rubens@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  NEW imq driver
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:42:29 +0200

Seems I was to fast to declare success,
my version is not much more stable than the original one,everything
depends
on dropped packets.
 This is even not imq fault afterall, can be prowed in other way also:

atempts to police outgoing trafic it will be ok until you dont touch
localy
generated packets
if you try to drop them you will be sorry, because kernel will resend
then
together with new ones
of cource policer will drop them too, but linux kernel keeps resending
then
thus increasing rate progresively.

I noticed that with my trafic counter. internal trafic grew to enormous
levels 10X more than it can be. In reality there was almost no output at
all.
so DONT USE POLICERS ON EGRESS. on low trafic it is harmless but on
100mb/s
it probably can kill computer (not tested).

Seems imq have similar problem  even if driver itself have no leaks
kernel
consumes all resousces on resnending droped packets so that computer
stops
responding

for now I dont have good idea how to fix it so I will try to avoid
localy
generated trafic
so it will me possible to shape ingress and forward, egress will be left
for
real device.
maybe later I will find how fix that

> It seems to capture ingress and egress traffic of all interfaces;
wouldn't
> this count packets twice ?

No, ingress is for local and egress for everything so everything should
be
ok (in theory)

> If the machine is doing SNAT or DNAT, what IP addresses would be seen
by
> the qdisc ?

I made driver see the final destination address because it is more
usefull