Re: High speed traffic filtering

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 00:10, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
> > Hi;
Hi, and thanks for you reply.

> That might help, although without stateful filtering the rules
> have to be evaluated for each single packet.
Okay, we'll give it a try.

> > 2) Replace iptables by nf-hipac for packet filtering. Have you guys any
> > experience with nf-hipac ? (http://www.hipac.org/)
>
> nf-hipac is very good with a large number of rules, for just http
> filtering I suspect iptables will do equally good or better.

To be tested then, ok I'll try to see if we could build a test network
and try to simulate such traffic.

> > I would be really thanksfull to hear of any solutions / workarounds /
> > optimization to keep our linux firewalls handling growing traffic :-)
>
> Try without conntrack if you don't need it, otherwise start with
> increasing the hash table size and limit ip_conntrack_max to 2 times
> the hash size. There was a thread about optimizing iptables on
> netfilter-devel 1-2 month ago, it was started by Hervé Eychenne,
> search the archives.

Thanks, I found the post. Indeed, there is a lot of helpful informations
within. I'll investigate these post deeper.

Thanks !
Regards,
Vincent.