Re: High speed traffic filtering

Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
Hi;

First, sorry if this question is mostly netfilter related, than lartc,
but I think you guys may have a your opinion about this.

You should post this question to the netfilter-devel list, people there
can give you very good advice.

I'm using Linux 2.4.x with netfilter packet filtering / NAT on our front-end firewalls (P500 with 1Gb RAM), which are filtering traffic going to our Public Web Sites.

The traffic is growing very fast since several months.. The average
traffic filtered by our firewalls, is around 30/40 Mbits/s, with peaks
around 70 Mbits/s sometimes, so that we had to switch to gigabit
technologies, to keep a good safe margin.

Our firewalls are not so high speed machines (P500 with 1Gb RAM), but
are doing good so far.

It seems, however, that we are reaching the limits, when approaching 70
Mb/s... cpu utilization is then near 100%, and the machines start
dropping packets.

So, my question is, is netfilter able to handle, let's say gigabit
traffic filtering ? What kind of hardware would be necessary to handle
such traffic ?

Have you guys any experience with filtering such high speed traffic ?

Netfilter sure is able to handle 1gbit, but it doesn't depend that much on the raw speed. The number of conntracks and simultaneos active connections matters much more.

I also thought of two possible solutions, to optimize our current
firewalls, on which you may have an opinion.

1) Disabling statefull inspection, by unloading connection tracking
modules. I believe netfilter without connection tracking, might be much more
efficient (We don't need connection tracking actually, since we are only
filtering HTTP traffic from the others traffics at this point)

That might help, although without stateful filtering the rules have to be evaluated for each single packet.

2) Replace iptables by nf-hipac for packet filtering. Have you guys any
experience with nf-hipac ? (http://www.hipac.org/)

nf-hipac is very good with a large number of rules, for just http filtering I suspect iptables will do equally good or better.

I would be really thanksfull to hear of any solutions / workarounds / optimization to keep our linux firewalls handling growing traffic :-)

Try without conntrack if you don't need it, otherwise start with increasing the hash table size and limit ip_conntrack_max to 2 times the hash size. There was a thread about optimizing iptables on netfilter-devel 1-2 month ago, it was started by Hervé Eychenne, search the archives.

Best regards,
Patrick

Thanks ! Vincent.

---

Vincent Jaussaud
Kelkoo.com Security Manager email: tatooin@xxxxxxxxxx

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."
    -- President Thomas Jefferson.    1743-1826