High speed traffic filtering

Hi;

First, sorry if this question is mostly netfilter related, than lartc,
but I think you guys may have a your opinion about this.

I'm using Linux 2.4.x with netfilter packet filtering / NAT on our
front-end firewalls (P500 with 1Gb RAM), which are filtering traffic
going to our Public Web Sites.

The traffic is growing very fast since several months.. The average
traffic filtered by our firewalls, is around 30/40 Mbits/s, with peaks
around 70 Mbits/s sometimes, so that we had to switch to gigabit
technologies, to keep a good safe margin.

Our firewalls are not so high speed machines (P500 with 1Gb RAM), but
are doing good so far.

It seems, however, that we are reaching the limits, when approaching 70
Mb/s... cpu utilization is then near 100%, and the machines start
dropping packets.

So, my question is, is netfilter able to handle, let's say gigabit
traffic filtering ? What kind of hardware would be necessary to handle
such traffic ?

Have you guys any experience with filtering such high speed traffic ?

I also thought of two possible solutions, to optimize our current
firewalls, on which you may have an opinion.

1) Disabling statefull inspection, by unloading connection tracking
modules.
I believe netfilter without connection tracking, might be much more
efficient (We don't need connection tracking actually, since we are only
filtering HTTP traffic from the others traffics at this point)

2) Replace iptables by nf-hipac for packet filtering. Have you guys any
experience with nf-hipac ? (http://www.hipac.org/)

I would be really thanksfull to hear of any solutions / workarounds /
optimization to keep our linux firewalls handling growing traffic :-)

Thanks !
Vincent.

---

Vincent Jaussaud
Kelkoo.com Security Manager
email: tatooin@xxxxxxxxxx

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."
    -- President Thomas Jefferson.    1743-1826