RE: Split bandwidth equally per IP

http://www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/

This is in fact the link... My mistake.

I promised I will keep you informed with my progress in splitting the
bandwidth equally per IP. Unfortunately, for some odd reason Jim diGriz's
script did not work as I expected...

At that moment I was sure that esfq is uselsss, until I created my own
script and it worked surprisingly well :) The error as I spotted using
iptraf as a monitor was about 0.2 - 0.4 Kbytes which is very very small.

I spotted also a little "malfunction"... Maybe you can tell me what's wrong.

Imagine a 128 kbits (not Kbytes... a verry small) bandwidth that I have to
split for 12 clients in my LAN. Using the "default" HTB would result in a
r2q error and a small calculated quantum. So, as Stef sugested I hardcoded
the quantum parameter for all the 12 leaf classes:

$TC class add dev $LAN_IFACE parent 1:12 classid 1:121 htb rate 8kbit ceil
96kbit quantum 1500

I noticed that changing the rate parameter will not change the guaranteed
bandwith. So here are some questions:

1. Is "quantum" the real parameter related with the guaranteed bandwidth?
2. Is the sum of all "leaf class quantums" relevant? (As far as I understood
the sum of all rates in the leaf classes must not exceed the parent class
rate...)

I went further and changed the quantum from diffent clients from 1500 to
3000 (based on my knowledge this would mean double guaranteed bandwidth)

I set up a liitle test. I started 2 client computers and made them download
the same file with the same download manager. Client_1 had a 3000 quantum
and Client_2 had a 1500 quantum. The rates observed with iptraf were
10Kbytes for Client_1 and 5Kbytes for Client_2, which was the expected
result.

Another test with the quantum of Client_1 set to 15000=1500*10.
The expected result was to have a bandwith for Client_1 10 times greater
than the one for Client_2... The real results told me that whatever chenges
are made for the quantum, the Client_2 bandwith won't fall below 4Kbytes...

3. Can you tell me why the Cllient_2 bandwidth will not decrease below 4
Kbytes?

Thanks again for your time :)

Mihai Vlad