Re: Redundant Internet connections [Updated]

Yeah, I figured out the problem (stupid mistake on my end) and everything is working now.

With one exception. If I pull the cat5 out of eth0 (external interface 1) then everything just hangs. No connections can be made, etc. Pulling the cat5 out of eth1 (external interface 2) has no effect. The connection stays like this until eth0 is plugged back in (it picks back up immediately)

What this suggests to me is that , even though I'm using the two nexthops, all the data is trying to go over eth0, and nothing is being sent over eth1. ... And I just confirmed this with iptraf.

So the question now is, why aren't the nexthops working? I patched the kernel, followed the nano howto precisely, and can use both interfaces just fine (ping -I eth0/1, etc.). If I set the default route to either eth0 or eth1, everything works fine. But with the nexthops, it does not appear as if the load is being balanced.

Here is my table):

default  proto static
       nexthop via GW1  dev eth0 weight 1
       nexthop via GW2  dev eth1 weight 1

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton for all your help so far,
Seth

gypsy wrote:

"Seth J. Blank" wrote:

I have finished implementing this step by step, and things still do not
appear to be working.

During the testing phase, I have two problems (output which differs from
what the howto says I should get).
1) When I run "ip route list table main", only the proper entries for
NWE1/NME1 and NWE2/NME2 come up, not the one for NWI/NMI.

The placement within the script of the line: ip route del default table main is probably what is killing this. When the interface is brought up, an entry is made into the main table. You're purging that entry. So arrange things so that IFI comes up AFTER the del

The lo device should be in main also.

Another possibility is that the original main table did not have the IFI
entry when you ran
	ip rule add prio ### table main

The final thing that comes to mind is that you did not even execute
	ip link set $IFI up
	ip addr flush dev $IFI
	ip addr add $IPI/$NMI brd + dev $IFI
   (or ip addr add $IPI/$NMI brd $BRDI dev $IFI) # this is the line
that populates main

2) "ip route get from (IPE1|IPE2) to 204.152.189.113" both return
"network unreachable"

IS the network reachable?!! My $0.25 is on IFI1 being dead. Try
ping -c1 -I eth# 204.152.189.113
where "#" is set to the first interface.

Any help or troubleshooting hints would be greatly appreciated.

Seth J. Blank

buck