Re: Problem while using HTB bandwidth limitation

Hello,
Thanks for the reply, but still have few doubts.

On Monday 01 September 2003 15:02, Nimit Gupta wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am using htb to shape bandwidth but I can see heavy ups and downs from
the specified limit. I have seen users with 24Kbit limitation can reach
upto 36Kbit.

Can there be any problem if I set 10 classes each restricted to 24kbit
under a class which has been restricted to 128Kbit.

My point is what happens if total of child classes, is more than the
parent class itself. Does it distribute fairly ie equally to all 10
classes or will there be a problem.

Each class should be able to het 1/10 of 128kbit. But it can be bursty.

It can burst to some extent but I could see the rate going more than double in some cases why is it so?

I want it to be this way because I know not all 10 people use it
simultaneously there can be 7 people at max who will be browsing at same
time.

Here are some rules:

#Creating root qdisc
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 4000

tc c a dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 192Kbit burst 15Kbit

#Rules for default class
tc c a dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:4000 htb rate 16Kbit burst 10Kbit
tc q a dev eth0 parent 1:4000 handle 4000: sfq perturb 10

# Rules for each of the 10 machines
tc c a dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:$C_ID htb rate 24Kbit burst 10Kbit

tc q a dev eth0 parent 1:$C_ID handle $C_ID: sfq perturb 10
tc f a dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 5 u32 match ip dst $IP
classid 1:$C_ID

Try to remove the burst parameter. And if you have a 192Kbit link, you should limit all bandwidth to 188kbit so YOU are the bottleneck on the link and not the modem.

Yes, now I have removed the burst parameter but can you explain me why to limit all bandwidth to 188 when I have 192, I am having DSL connection.

with regards,
Nimit