Re: Problem while using HTB bandwidth limitation

On Monday 01 September 2003 15:02, Nimit Gupta wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am using htb to shape bandwidth but I can see heavy ups and downs from
> the specified limit. I have seen users with 24Kbit limitation can reach
> upto 36Kbit.
>
> Can there be any problem if I set 10 classes each restricted to 24kbit
> under a class which has been restricted to 128Kbit.
>
> My point is what happens if total of child classes, is more than the
> parent class itself. Does it distribute fairly ie equally to all 10
> classes or will there be a problem.
Each class should be able to het 1/10 of 128kbit.  But it can be bursty.

> I want it to be this way because I know not all 10 people use it
> simultaneously there can be 7 people at max who will be browsing at same
> time.
>
> Here are some rules:
>
> #Creating root qdisc
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 4000
>
> tc c a dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 192Kbit burst 15Kbit
>
> #Rules for default class
> tc c a dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:4000 htb rate 16Kbit burst 10Kbit
> tc q a dev eth0 parent 1:4000 handle 4000: sfq perturb 10
>
> # Rules for each of the 10 machines
> tc c a dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:$C_ID htb rate 24Kbit burst 10Kbit
>
> tc q a dev eth0 parent 1:$C_ID handle $C_ID: sfq perturb 10
> tc f a dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 5 u32 match ip dst $IP
> classid 1:$C_ID
Try to remove the burst parameter.  And if you have a 192Kbit link, you should
limit all bandwidth to 188kbit so YOU are the bottleneck on the link and not
the modem.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx