Re[2]: QOS and gameserver lags

Monday, August 25, 2003, 7:25:39 PM, Stef wrote:

SC> Can you check the bandwidth used in the different classes?  I have a script on
SC> www.docum.org that can do this for you.  I ask this because you have
SC> different prio's and you have to be sure you never overlimit a class (send
SC> more then the rate) or the latency can go up.

OK, I checked the bandwidth with monitor_tc.pl: everythings looks
okay. The increased latenca does not come from different prios. But I
still put every class on prio 0.

SC> You also have to check the quantum values.  For the 10 kbit class, quantum =
10kbit / 8 (bit ->> byte) / 10 (r2q) = 12.5 byte and this < mtu = 1500 byte.
SC> So add quantum 1500 if you create that class.

OK. I set quantum 1500 on the small class.

But the solution to my problem is much simpler:

my Provider says I get 192 kbits upstream.
When I do an ftp upload to a close server I get 175 kbits.
But to make my linux router the bottleneck I need to limit the rate to
160 kbits!!!!

Can anybody explain the difference in the numbers?

Please see the current version of my shaper here:

http://www.designobjekt.de/test/rc.trafficshaper

Now I only get minimally increased latency when playing
online games and having 100% upstream traffic at the same time.

Cheers,
Tom.

--
Word Perfect isn't, Excel doesn't, Works won't.