[LARTC] CBQ_bandwidth

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 14:58, Raghuveer wrote:
> What is confusing me is, there is a bandwidth provided by ISP (512Kbits)
> and one ethernet capacity(100Mbits), so which one can we call as real
> link bandwidth.  What is NIC bandwidth....is it ethernet bandwidth or
> ISP bandwidth....?
>     Lan------->eth1-----------eth0---------->Internet
> Now at eth0 I have ethernet device bandwidth as 100Mbits and my ISP
> provides 512Kbits bandwidth. so if I want to do egress traffic control
> at both eth0 and eth1, what bandwidth I should consider...? My eth1
> ethernet device bandwidth is 100Mbits.
What bout this :

for all cbq commands : bandwidth 100mbit
eth0
  cbq qdisc
    cbq class rate = 512kbit, bounded
       cbq class 1, rate < 512kbit
       cbq class ..., rate < 512kbit
       cbq class x, rate < 512kbit
So all traffic from class 1 ... x togehter is bounded to 512kbit.

eth1
  cbq qdisc
    cbq class rate = 100mbit, bounded
       cbq class 1, rate 512kbit bounded
          cbq class 10, rate < 512kbit
          cbq class ..., rate < 512kbit
          cbq class x, rate < 512kbit
       cbq class 2, rate 99,5Mbit
          cbq class 20, rate < 99,5Mbit
          cbq class ..., rate < 99,5Mbit
          cbq class x, rate < 99,5Mbit

Class 1 is for all traffic from internet -> LAN
Class 2 is for all traffic from shaper -> LAN

And if you really want to be sure it's working, you should take 500kbit.  So
YOU are the bottleneck and in control of the link and not the modem.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"