[LARTC] CBQ_bandwidth

Stef Coene wrote:

>On Wednesday 20 August 2003 12:50, Raghuveer wrote:
>

>>Hi Stef,
>>
>>Reffering to page < http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/7.html
>>
>> > I found a para as follows,
>>
>>" CBQ is not always as accurate as it should be. See docum.org on the
>>test page for some tests with bounded classes. The algorithm used by cbq
>>is very "link sensitive". It calculates the link idle time and for that
>>it needs the real link bandwidth, average packet size and some other
>>parameters. But there calculations are not always accurate. So it's
>>possible that you will get inaccurate results if you use CBQ to limit
>>the traffic in a class.  "
>>
>>Here Iam slightly confused with real link bandwidth, Can I understand
>>that while creating CBQ we need interface bandwidth (ethtool, mii-diag)
>>and and while assigning the classes real link bandwidth is required. An
>>example will definately help me. Can you pls suggest a way to find real
>>link bandwidth....? As ethtool and mii-diag will only get the interface
>>bandwidth.
>>

>The bandwidth parameter is the real link bandwidth like ethtook or mii-diag
>will show you.
>If you want to limit all traffic to the link bandwidth, you have to create a
>class that's bounded and with rate = link bandwidth.  You can create
>non-bounded sub classes but the bandwidth will be limit by the bounded class
>to the link bandwidth.

What is confusing me is, there is a bandwidth provided by ISP (512Kbits)
and one ethernet capacity(100Mbits), so which one can we call as real
link bandwidth.  What is NIC bandwidth....is it ethernet bandwidth or
ISP bandwidth....?
    Lan------->eth1-----------eth0---------->Internet
Now at eth0 I have ethernet device bandwidth as 100Mbits and my ISP
provides 512Kbits bandwidth. so if I want to do egress traffic control
at both eth0 and eth1, what bandwidth I should consider...? My eth1
ethernet device bandwidth is 100Mbits.

Regards
-Raghu