Re: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER

El Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:28:57 +0300
Giannis Stoilis <giannis@xxxxxxxxxx> escribio:

> Lucas Aimaretto wrote:
> > It is like when you want to do trunking on switches, that means,
> > combine 2 or more ports on a switch to get more bw available.
>
> You must be referring to "bonding" or "EtherChannel". I have tried
> it in linux. What you are saying can't work, becouse:
> bonding, creates a seperate virtual network interface, which is the
> one with the combined speed. THIS is the one you assign your IP to.
> The real network interfaces aren't assigned any ip, they are used
> directly by the bonding driver.

yes, that's right .... well, I tried to say that, I was not as clear
as I tought...

> What is more, this technology cannot be used for connecting a single
> computer to multiple networks. It is used to connect to another
> SINGLE device, which uses the same technology.

well, again, that is why I think it will not work. If you want to
combine these two real adsl interfaces into one virtual interface,
you'll have to do it on the other end .... and as these lines are not
the same speed, packets will not arrive at the same time for a correct
re-arrengement.

> A few month I asked my Cisco instructor for that same problem. He
> told me that it CAN be done, but it SHOULDN'T be done, becouse it is
> not stable, by design.

I've never tried, thoug if you have to adsl links of same speed, on
both ends, I think it could be possibly done. I repeat, I've done this
on switches, but only switches ....

lucas

----
El proposito de elegir funcionarios es que nosotros
no tengamos que pensar.
                                     Homero Simpson