Re: [jik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [LARTC] MSS clamping doesn't work with masquerading through VPN?]

>  From: "Peter E. Fry" <pfry-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:33:08 -0500
>
>    In that case I'll take a wild stab.  I'd guess that the traffic
>  passing through the clamper is not TCP at that point -- it's either
>  UDP or ESP, and therefore unaffected by TCP MSS clamping.  Use
>  IPTables to log the packets passing to your remote, and see what they
>  are.

Your guess about the cause of the problem was wrong, but your
suggestion for debugging it helped me find the solution!

I was specifying the MSS clamping with "-A FORWARD", but apparently
the packets in question were never going through the FORWARD chain
because they were being NATed.  So I added a rule to my nat table, and
now the MTU clamping works.  In other words, in addition to this:

  iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

I now have this as well:

  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

I guess the problem I had is what comes from trying to apply a
cookbook without fully understanding it.

Question: Is it worth mentioning this in the LARTC guide in the
section that talks about MSS clamping, so that other naifs like me can
avoid this problem?

Thanks,

  Jonathan Kamens