Re: [LARTC] ethernet bonding ?

Christian,

 : I have a linux box connected to a switch network with 2 network
 : interfaces, how would I able to 'trunk' these 2 interfaces? options I
 : can see are:

For trunking, link aggregation, you need to have support for 802.3ad in
your switch, and you must configure your switch appropriately, in addition
to the commands you ran on your linux box.

 : - ethernet bonding

The documentation is extensive and thorough on bonding!  OK, so I
exaggerate.  Check out Documentation/networking/bonding.txt in the kernel
source tree.  Yes, you probably already knew that.

 : - iproute2?

Not to my knowledge.

 : - teql

Yes, you can use teql.  The LARTC HOWTO has a good example of using teql.

 : Which one are the best to use?

Depends on your application.  I'd recommend trunking if and only if your
switch supports it.  Heh.

 : I'm curretly having problem with ethernet bonding, my setup are as follow:
 : ip add: 192.168.10.30/24
 :
 : I do:
 :
 : # modprobe bonding
 : # ip addr add 192.168.10.30/24 dev bond0
 : # ifenslave bond0 eth0
 : # ifenslave bond0 eth1
 : # ip link set bond0 up
 :
 : At this stage, I can't ping any of the other workstations / server in
 : 192.168.10.0/24 subnet.  I run tcpdump on both the bonding machine and
 : the server I am pinging, I can see the bonding machine keeps sending
 : arp request, the server recevies the arp request and also sends a reply
 : back... but it seems the arp reply never get through to the bonding
 : machine.  Has anyone experience this issue?

Have you configured the switch to trunk the two ports to which your linux
box has physical connections?

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx